Cost-Cutting Tips at Home
- Educate the whole family on how to save water by turning off the spigot while washing at the sink, brushing teeth, and washing dishes. Unless you’re using the water at that moment, turn it off. Discourage long, luxurious showers by putting a timer in the bathroom.
- Be tenacious about saving on power, too. Turn off lights when you leave a room.
- Buy more store brands than name brands, especially on things that don’t differ all that much.
- Limit your trips to the movie rental store to once a month. Dig out some of the movies you own and spend an evening watching some old favorites instead. Borrow videos from your public library. Or do a swap with neighbors and trade movies once a week.
- Is your working spouse going out for lunch every day? Packed lunches are cheaper than eating at fast-food restaurants.
- Go through your basement, closets and storage areas. What do you have lying around that you don’t use anymore that might bring in some extra cash?
Saturday, December 6, 2008